Leaving Key West for Marathon Key

Posted on

This morning when I woke up, it was pouring with rain outside and the wind was howling. I knew that when everyone woke up they’d love something warm in their tummy’s, so I cooked pancakes and bacon and served everyone in bed. I also made a few batches of fresh granola, knowing that the baking would heat the boat up nicely.


The company we bought our batteries through seem to have a great product but pathetic customer service. They gave us the number for an installer, who actually installs in homes, not boats, so Danny found an installation company in Marathon Key. We decided to get things ready to head that way, and while Danny and Jonathan went to get us checked out, Jude went up the mast to fix the lines on the stack pack.

FullSizeRender-770     FullSizeRender-771

The wind was blowing and it was so ridiculously cold, but she wanted to stay up there and swing for a while. After she’d been up there for some time, I yelled up, “hows it going” and she replied, “well, I’m going to try spit my gum out to see if I can hit the water.” I was thinking she was going to reply with a plan of attack on the stack pack, but obviously she had more important things on her mind. Aidan, Emma and I watched as she spat far with all her might (into the mind) and landed her gum about 10ft out away from the boat and into the water. She makes me so proud. What a nut.

Earlier on, her and I were in the galley and she was painting, and this is how our conversation went.

Jude: I think I’m an imperfectionist.

Me: Yeah? Why do think that?

Jude: Because I really love imperfect things. I don’t like new clothes, I love imperfections in nature and my art and everything around me.

Me: I like that.

Jude: The world is not a perfect place and people need to accept that and love it.

I’d never heard anyone call themselves an imperfectionist before, and think it’s interesting that an individual as perfect as Jude, loves imperfections so much. Perhaps that is what makes her so perfect.

We set sail from Key West, leaving behind a wind blown, freezing and gray mooring field, and raised the main and unfurled the jib.


We had about 50 miles to do, and sailed 30 of the 50 before dropping anchor. Everyone up at the helm were so frozen, and we don’t like entering new anchorages in the dark, so we figured we’d stop for the night and continue in the morning. I made a big pot of chunky beef stew and garlic bread to warm everyone up, and now with full bellies Tanda Malaika’s 7 crew members are snuggled down in their warm beds. We are so grateful for our home, and the protection she offers us.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s